Allison-Antrim Museum 

                                     Greencastle, PA

Back
Allison
Antrim
Scotch-Irish
Train Stations
Brown's Mill
Crowell
Geiser
Enoch Brown
Water System
Baseball
Property History
Fletcher
Peter Kuhn
Dolly Harris
G-castle Elevator Co
Hostetter's Store
Early Industry
Old Home Week
Scout Building
Pawling's Tavern
Walck
Physicians
Trolley System
Corporal Rihl
Iron Works
Town Hall
Allison-Ebbert Home
Moller Organs
Timothy Andeson
Capt. Ulric Dahlgren

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Old photo of Brown's Mill School
( time unknown)

For eighty‑five years this stone structure served as an educational institution and community center for the Brown's Mill area. Evening singing schools, debates, and spelling bees were held during each school year and one report tells of as many as a hundred sleighs bringing people on a winter night, to take part in a social event at the school.

 

Class of 1887

Citizens of the Brown's Mill community raised
the funds to construct the school house.

The stone structure served as a school and community center for the area.

In 1789, the original school, a small log structure, was constructed southeast of this site and was eventually replaced by this building.

Brown's Mill School had been restored and preserved by the Pennsylvania Historical Commission and serves as a memorial to the one-room schools of the country.

 

The Brown's Mill Graveyard contains the graves of many early settlers. Recognized as an historic cemetery and the final resting place of seventeen Revolutionary War veterans, the Franklin County Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected a memorial to these soldiers in 1935.

Among the burial sites is the grave of Major General James Potter, one of three generals from Pennsylvania to be accorded this rank in the War for Independence. James Potter's memory was perpetuated by the Commonwealth when Potter County was created on March 26, 1804. James McLene, a member of the Continental Congress and political leader in state government during the Revolution and for a decade following the war, is also buried in the graveyard.