Allison-Antrim Museum, Inc
is a museum featuring local artifacts and history of Greencastle, PA and the surrounding community of Antrim Township. It is located within the borough of Greencastle and is directly across from the Greencastle-Antrim School District campus. It provides opportunities for students as well as citizens from the community. History
AAMI was started under the auspices of the Greencastle-Antrim Chamber of Commerce in 1994 and received 501(c)(3) status in the spring of 1997. In April 1998, through the generosity of an anonymous benefactor, AAMI was able to purchase the current property that it now calls home. The grand opening was on August 1, 1998 - the beginning of the 33rd Triennial Old Home Week celebration. During that week AAMI welcomed, 1,000 friends, family, and visitors through Greencastle-Antrim's museum.
Allison-Antrim Museum received its name from John Allison, the founder of Greencastle, and Antrim Township that surrounds the borough. Keeping with Greencastle-Antrim's Scot-Irish heritage, the museum adopted as its logo the Scottish thistle.
History of the Museum Property
Alexander L. Irwin (also known as A. L. Irwin) bought 14 acres and 76 perches of land from Jacob Stover May 3, 1860. This piece of land was part of the original tract of land belonging to John Allison that is now known as the Tayamentasachta Environmental Center. The 1860 county tax records indicate that Irwin built the house, that is now Allison-Antrim Museum, in that same year.
A - Tayamentasachta, B - Museum, C - Middle School site, D - High School site. View is looking South
In Alexander L. Irwin's last will and testament he described his 14 acres and 76 perches as "my Walnut Hill property". This geographic area is limestone area with deep, rich, loamy soil in which walnut trees thrive. This fact verifies that, no doubt, there was a great chance that walnut trees were, at one time, prolific on this property.
The Irwin family owned "Walnut Hill" for 73 years, from May 1860 until the death of Sarah Annie, his last surviving child, in December 1933. The two youngest daughters, Sarah Annie and Margaret Belle, never married. Upon the death of Sarah Annie the property was willed to the United Presbyterian Church of North America in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
We surmise that the property, while under the 2 1/2-year ownership of the church, was rented. The church then sold it to Cletus L. and Maude C. Zimmerman in September 1936. The Zimmerman's owned the property until 1988 when they sold it to Robert and Jeanette May. Allison-Antrim Museum then bought the property in April 1998.
Who was Alexander L. Irwin? He was born September 15, 1811 and died September 22, 1890. The "History of Franklin County, Pennsylvania - 1887" states that A. L. Irwin was one of the 22 "incorporators" of the Greencastle and Maryland Turnpike. We discover the following from the book, "When War Passed This Way". Irwin was a prominent merchant and the hall in his East Baltimore Street store was used for entertaining during Christmas 1863. During the Civil War, A. L. Irwin was a member of the committee that, "raised enough money to pay the extra fifty dollar bonus to all who enlisted."
Persistent research, through census records, obituary notices, and cemetery records produced the following information about Alexander L. Irwin.
We believe his family was originally from the Newville area as several of the family members' obituaries mention that they were members of the United Presbyterian Church in Newville. Early in his life he arrived in Chambersburg and opened a hardware store. His first wife, Sara J., died in 1848. They had four children - James Montgomery, Alfred L., Jane E. G., and G. W.
We have not yet found James M. and Alfred L. listed on census records for this area past September 8, 1860, when they were last mentioned as living at home in Greencastle. Neither of them is buried in the family plot at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and neither were they listed as surviving children of Alexander upon his death on September 22, 1890. James M. would have been 20 in 1860 and old enough to fight in the Civil War. In 1860, Alfred L. would have been about 15.
Jane E. G. married Scott Snively and moved to Wyoming. She may have been the only surviving child from A. L.'s first marriage, having A. L.'s only grandchildren.
Alexander's second marriage was to Martha J. Means. They had at least five children, the last two being fraternal twins. The children were Thomas M., Alexander Fleming, Sarah Annie, Margaret Belle and Josiah Smith. Alexander died at the age of 25 and Josiah, fraternal twin of Margaret Belle, died at not quite three years old. The three surviving children from the second marriage did not marry, leaving no heirs.
Alexander L. moved to Greencastle in 1855 or 1856 and established Greencastle's first hardware store. It was located on the eastern most, southeast, outside corner of the square where the Brendle block is now located. Irwin's business prospered and he amassed a considerable fortune and was able to live retired for a number of years.
The house he built is a two-story, three bay hipped roof building, constructed of brick on a limestone foundation. It is oriented to face south, although all four facades are prominent. South Ridge Avenue did not exist until the mid to late 1950's when the high school was built. At the time the house was built, Leitersburg Road was the main highway. Huge old boxwoods embellish the front, east, and west facades. The east half of the first floor was assigned to the service aspects of everyday life with a kitchen and dining room.
The brickwork at all elevations is a variation of Flemish bonding with alternating header and stretcher bricks, arranged in a decorative pattern. The fact that Flemish bonding, quite time and labor intensive, was used on all four elevations is an indication of Irwin's wealth. The architecture of the house is of the Greek Revival period with Italianate and German vernacular features. The house is in good condition and retains much of its original detailing - pine floors, cast iron locks, ceramic knobs and escutcheons, paneled doors, and molded trim.
The homestead also included a barn, which was where the G-A Middle School parking lot is located, a summer kitchen/wash house, and a necessary (out house). A limestone kiln was situated along the Leitersburg Road southern border of the property.
The property was divided up during the years that the Zimmerman family owned it until by the time Allison-Antrim Museum bought the property in April 1998, the acreage of the property was only a little over one acre.
The Irwin family history, house, and the remaining property remain a marvelous example of Greencastle-Antrim's heritage.
Allison-Antrim Museum, Inc
365 South Ridge Avenue, Greencastle, PA 17225
Copyright © Allison-Antrim Museum | All rights reserved.